Have you checked out all the Seller Tools & Features in your account yet? Tophatter provides a suite of free tools & features to set eCommerce sellers up for success.
Discover the Tophatter Product CSV
The best way to quickly add and schedule products on Tophatter is by uploading via a Product CSV.
Not every seller knows about the Product CSV. CSV means Comma Separated Values, and it's similar to Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
The Tophatter Product CSV uses columns and equations to manage products, orders, and data and separates each of these columns with a comma.
The CSV Actions page has many tools at your disposal. The image below showcases the Tophatter Product CSV Upload Tool that sellers can use to upload and organize their products -
Scroll down for more information on how to use the Product Upload CSV and tips for how to properly fill out your CSV in this edition for our Tophatter Seller Education Series.
What is the Tophatter Product Upload CSV?
It's a smart, simple way to upload large amounts of product information with little formatting. CSV stands for Comma Separated Values. Our system separates each column with a comma to organize the data you use to manage your products and shipping order.
For example, you can upload new products and update existing ones. You can add new products that can later be scheduled in a Campaign, or you can update existing products with quantity or variation changes, and more.
Let's break down the Product CSV into its three functions - Manage Products, Manage Orders, and Download Data:
The Product CSV page in your seller account is great for updating products and marking orders as shipped, but it may not always provide you with all the information you want.
If you're looking for something specific, log into your seller account and visit the Performance Page to get a breakdown on products, Incident Fees, and more.
How to Upload Your Own Product CSV
Take advantage of our Product Upload CSV to better track and manage your products.
Review our Product CSV example below before completing your own to ensure all required columns are filled out correctly:
Sellers Remember! Make your titles and descriptions succinct. Don't worry about optimizing for keyword searches as you do on other platforms. Tophatter is not a search-based platform. We are a discovery marketplace, and most shoppers discover new products without ever using a search query.
Top 4 Secrets to Uploading the Perfect Product CSV
- Focus on filling out the Title, Description, Condition, Brand, and Material columns. Depending on your products, you may need to fill out the Variation Unique ID, Variation Quantity, and Variation Size columns if applicable.
- Only organize products in the categories available in the drop-down menu. Scroll down the page to see which fields are required and the acceptable formats and options. It’s a great thing to review before uploading your own CSV!
- Avoid copying and pasting lengthy descriptions that contain special characters. Make sure there are no paragraphs, quotation marks, or other symbols in your copy as this will likely cause the upload to fail. The CSV works like Excel, Google Sheets, and Apple Numbers. Many of these programs will not function with special characters in the data field.
- Image uploads must be specific. Images must be larger than 500x480 but less than 4MB. Scroll down for more tips on how to add the right images to your Product CSV.
How to Add the Correct Image URL to Product CSV
- Open the link you have in your spreadsheet in a new web tab (we recommend Google Chrome as your default browser).
- Right-click on the image and select "Inspect" from the menu. A small window on the right side will open with a lot of text and numbers. This is the HTML code. You will want to find the code that starts with < img src=. You can find this by doing a "Command + F" search for "img".
- Double click on the part that starts with "https" and copy that link. It will highlight the information you should copy in a light blue.
- Open a new tab and paste in the link you just copied into the URL bar. If it only opens a page with only the image you have successfully copied the necessary URL.
- Copy the new link into your spreadsheet. You will need to do this for each image.
- Make sure you save your CSV after correcting the links.
- You can now re-try uploading the CSV.
Sellers Did You Know? You can upload GIFs now! Capture a shopper's attention with a description or snazzy GIF of your product.
What to Do When Product CSV Upload Fails
Are you getting an error message after trying to upload your Product CSV?
If some of the columns fail, you will see an error message. If the upload fails completely, you may have an extra column or columns that aren't valid.
Compare your CSV against our above example to find any discrepancies. Remember to look out for small things like quotation marks and other special characters.
To prevent upload failures, we recommend uploading one Product CSV at a time. Unfortunately, the more times you keep trying to upload a CSV, the longer it will take, and the more errors that can occur.
Even if the Product CSV upload fails, you can always re-upload. Just be sure to remove all the columns for SKUs that successfully uploaded, otherwise they will fail again when you re-upload.
Stumped by your Product CSV error message? Email Tophatter Support for quick assistance.
Sellers Remember! Support may upload the CSV via your account when attempting to correct issues, but we will inform you if we do. When support is helping you correct a failed CSV, don't upload any more new CSVs until the existing error has been fixed.
How to Use the Tophatter Product Upload CSV Tool
Are you ready to log in to your account and start your Product Upload CSV?
Even if you’ve never used it before, the Product Upload CSV is easy to navigate. Tophatter Support is ready to answer any questions you may have regarding upload fails or data entry.
Remember, not every CSV will give you all the information you may be looking for. If you're looking for something specific refer to our how to read your payouts CSV blog post for further details on how to read a payout CSV so you are aware of the information it does and does not include.